A private client Senior Associate specialising in estate planning and administration.
Jane advises on all aspects of planning for later life including making a will or a lasting power of attorney, the establishment of trusts, succession and inheritance planning. This can include liaison with the Court of Protection if a client or trustee develops mental health problems and loses the capacity to make their own decisions.
Jane supports the family through the administration of the estate and grant of probate. This may include drafting a deed of variation, dealing with capital gains tax, setting up trusts and inheritance advice for the surviving spouse or partner and their dependents.
Jane’s clients include individuals and families in and around Oxfordshire including farming families, business owners and property investors. The international nature of the community in Oxford means that she also acts for bereaved families overseas when the deceased person’s estate includes property in Oxfordshire.
Recent examples of how Jane has helped clients include:
- preparing new wills for a couple after discussing of the merits of nil rate band discretionary trusts in wills following a change in inheritance tax rules;
- minimising the capital gains tax liability on an estate in Oxford where the property value had risen significantly since the date of death;
- establishing a discretionary trust to enable a client to pass on their wealth to the next generation in a tax-efficient way;
- redirecting the assets in a family farm to the next generation to ensure that agricultural reliefs and business reliefs were not lost; and
- establishing a multi-million-pound trust on behalf of an independently wealthy widow who wanted her husband’s wealth to be passed directly to her children.