A Landed Estates specialist with expertise in land management, inheritance and succession planning.
Richard advises land owners in the North West and North Wales with estates ranging from 2 to 20,000 acres, as well as high-net-worth individuals with property investments in London.
He helps estates to become more commercial and better placed to take advantage of tax reliefs and opportunities for development. Richard also structures rural business to withstand the complications of family dynamics as estates need to cope with relationships breaking down and older generations living longer.
Richard is actively involved in the management of his family’s Llewesog Estate - in particular in renewable energy (having resuscitating a hydro-electric project and a new biomass boiler) and commercial development.
Recent examples of how Richard has helped include:
- introducing a solar park developer to an estate client and competing a lease which subsequently achieved a ten-fold increase in return on 55 acres of land;
- structuring a family estate to ensure that it is passed to the next generation in a tax-efficient manner;
- saving a number of high-net-worth clients over £500,000 each in stamp duty land tax on property transactions each valued at over £5 million;
- helping landowners to maximise their land value through the grant of options to housing developers; and
- resolving a difficult family dispute via mediation, preventing the break up of the estate.